The Church of Religious Science
Church of Religious Science, also known as Science of Mind
Dr. Ernest Holmes founded the International Religious Science movement in 1927 and popularized it with the widespread distribution and popularity of his many books including, “The Science of Mind” as well as the magazine, “Science of Mind Magazine” which has been in continuous publication since 1927. Dr. Holmes founded Science of Mind / Religious Science as a teaching institution (Spiritual Center) dedicated to helping people gain a sense of their relationship to God and their place in the Universe with a positive, supportive approach to daily living. It wasn’t until the last years of his life that Dr. Holmes allowed the Science of the Mind Movement to formalize its religious overtones and become a the Church of Religious Science.
Science of the Mind Philosophy:
“The Science of Mind is the study of Life and the nature of the laws of thought; the conception that we live in a spiritual Universe; that God is in, through, around and for us.”
“The Science of Mind reveals that every man is a potential Christ. Every man has inherent God-power within him… we live in a mental or spiritual universe and that things can be resolved into thoughts… The objective universe is the Body of God. That body includes our physical being. In reality every idea of our physical being is a Divine idea.”
— Dr. Ernest Holmes
The Church of Religious Science is fundamentally in accord with other New Thought Churches in its beliefs that there is a Divine Universal Force of Goodness, and we as human individuals can improve our conditions by aligning and harmonizing with this universal force.
Core Beliefs of the Church of Religious Science include:
- We believe in God, the living Spirit Almighty; one, indestructible, absolute, and self-existent Cause. This One manifests Itself in and through all creation, but is not absorbed by Its creation. The manifest universe is the body of God; it is the logical and necessary outcome of the infinite self-knowingness of God.
- We believe in the incarnation of the Spirit in US, and that all PEOPLE are incarnations of the One Spirit.
- We believe in the eternality, the immortality, and the continuity of the individual soul, forever and ever expanding.
- We believe that HEAVEN is within US, and that we experience IT to the degree that we become conscious of It.
- We believe the ultimate goal of life to be a complete emancipation from all discord of every nature, and that this goal is sure to be attained by all.
- We believe in the unity of all life, and that the highest God and the innermost God is one God. We believe that God is personal to all who feel this indwelling Presence.
- We believe in the direct revelation of Truth through our intuitive and spiritual nature, and that ANYONE may become a revealer of Truth who lives in close contact with the indwelling God.
- We believe that the Universal Spirit, which is God, operates through a Universal Mind, which is the Law of God; and that we are surrounded by this Creative Mind which receives the direct impress of our thought and acts upon it.
- We believe in the healing of the sick through the power of this Mind.
- We believe in the control of conditions through the power of this Mind.
- We believe in the eternal Goodness, the eternal Loving-kindness, and the eternal Givingness of Life to all.
- We believe in our own soul, our own spirit, and our own destiny; for we understand that OUR LIFE is God.
A few words from Founder Dr. Ernest Holmes
“The Science of Mind is built on the theory that there is One Infinite Mind which of necessity includes all that is, whether it be the intelligence in man, the life in the animal, or the invisible Presence which is God. In it we learn to have a spiritual sense of things. This spiritual sense of things is what is meant by the Consciousness of Christ. To be able to discern the spiritual idea back of its physical symbol is to use the mind that Jesus used.”
learn more about:
Religious Science and the Science of the Mind